Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Dorms Are the Answer





In our colleges today many students face depression or sadness due to the lack of meeting new people and not really having any friends. Yeah, we have other students in our classes that we talk to, but not really outside of class. Sometimes it’s nice to have friends outside of class, to be able to talk to and just hang out with. 

Many freshmen coming into universities face being alone and having no friends. This soon turns into a serious issue where students want to drop out, move back home, or change schools. I can speak with experience when I say things like this are an issue. I had a friend who hated coming to school because other than me she had no friends. She would talk to other students from classes but that was it, never really anything serious. So this lead her into depression and started to skip class and eventually dropped out because she felt lonely. I was wondered what could be a solution to a problem like this because I am positive that there are other students with the same problem. 

I believe that students should live on campus their freshmen year, only because this way they are able to meet new people and have some support later on down the road. This allows students to experience the college life on the right track. They can experience things with new friends and not feel alone. The new students have something to look forward to their first year and eventually make lifelong relationships with new people. 

My freshman year, I lived in the University Village and I can say it made a big difference in my first year as a student. I was matched up with six other roommates. Living with six other students gives you a sense of comfort and ease. Those roommates ended up being my first friends here in Chico State. You can see the results in the students when they are faced with a new experience and get to face it with six other people. I believe that living on campus is an amazing thing for first year students, so they can get their foot on the right track by not feeling lonely and able to break out and have fun their first year. 

If you are feeling lonely, remember there are lots of people here to support you.  Stop by the Liberal Studies office and talk with one of the PALS.  If you'd like to talk with someone professional, we have some wonderful counselors at Chico State and our PALS will even go with you the first time. Check out their website.


No comments:

Post a Comment