Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Communicating With Family


Family is the most important aspect of my life, I’m sure the same can go for many but not all. My hometown is in Southern California where the rest of my family lives, so I am a long way from home.  Since I really only see them during the holiday breaks I make sure to keep in contact with them as much as possible.  Being about 500 miles away from my parents sometimes worries them so we talk on the phone at least once a day, even if it is only for a few minutes.  Parents and family members like to hear that their son/daughter/niece/nephew/grandchild is doing well in college and on their own.  Simple quick phone calls are the easiest way to keep in contact and keep your mother worry-free. Skyping has also become a more popular form of communicating with my family, sometimes when my extended family has gatherings they make sure to Skype me so it’s like a family reunion and nobody is missing.  It always feels nice to know that they’re happy to see and hear from you. In some cases, the relationship between family members might not be too strong so phone calls and Skyping are out of the question, in this case I would suggest recognizing their birthdays. Getting letters in the mail seems to be decreasing in popularity; I know whenever I get mail it’s a great feeling.  I would suggest sending birthday cards that can even be handmade depending on your level of creativity!

By Eve Hernandez

No comments:

Post a Comment